Appeals Attorney Job Description
[Insert company name here] is an established and successful law firm specializing in [insert key areas of focus here]
We’re looking for an Appeals Attorney to correct errors of trial court judges and change the law by persuading appellate courts to overturn lower court decisions or to expand or change the interpretation of statutory law.
Roles & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Review and analyze trial records and other documents, research and analyze case law, draft persuasive briefs and appellate documents, advocate in appellate courts before appellate judges, and assist trial counsel in framing issues at trial and in preserving the record for appeal.
- In most cases, appellate attorneys are revisiting a case that occurred years before. Because of the unique nature of appellate law, research is done on a very regular basis, as appellate attorneys have to dig into the past to find new information regarding their cases.
- Demonstrate the ability to articulate sound legal arguments both orally and in writing. The position requires attention to detail, careful legal research, efficient and timely completion of briefs and memoranda of law, and experience arguing before both the [insert state]
- Appeals Court and Supreme Justice Court.
- Juris Doctor from accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the [insert state] Bar
- Strong communication, research, and writing skills
- Significant and demonstrated understanding of criminal law, with an emphasis on appellate and case law
- Capacity for fairness, strong work ethic, and ability to manage a demanding workload
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and be part of a team
- Strong computer skills, must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
What you’ll get in return
The firm offers a generous benefits package along with compensation based on experience level and client orientation.
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical insurance plan
- Dental insurance plan
- Vision insurance plan
- Contribution to life insurance plan
- 401k profit sharing
- Parking reimbursement
- Social, charity, and wellness events
To apply for the role or have a confidential discussion, contact us on [insert recruiter email address] or [insert recruiter phone number]