Patent Legal Assistant Job Description
[Insert company name here] is an established and successful law firm specializing in [insert key areas of focus here]
We’re looking for a Patent Legal Assistant to help prepare legal documents and patent applications, proofread them before filing, perform background research to provide lawyers and their clients with a list of options for possible avenues to pursue, whether it is to preserve a patent, file a new one, or assess whether a competitor has violated the clients’ patent rights.
Roles & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain current knowledge of [insert name of country] and foreign rules relating to intellectual property as well as Firm procedures.
- Performs administrative and research-related duties for attorneys
Help prepare legal documents and patent applications, proofread them before filing, perform background research to provide lawyers and their clients with a list of options for possible avenues to pursue, whether it is to preserve a patent, file a new one, or assess whether a competitor has violated the clients’ patent rights.
- Process the filing of new [insert name of country] patent applications.
- Maintain knowledge of filing requirements, patent prosecution procedures, renewal data, expiration data, etc.
- Prepare and review appropriate correspondence from foreign associates and to clients regarding new applications, formal requirements, filing details, etc.
- Provide follow-up service regarding due dates to clients by telephone, e-mail, or letter.
- Responsible for certification/legalization of formal legal documents.
- Prepare and forward to clients, letters, patent documents, acceptance notices, filing reports, publication information, etc.
- Process formal documents to foreign associates.
- Prioritize workload to meet foreign filing deadlines and due dates.
- Prepare correspondence and perform clerical duties necessary to complete the foreign filing process and maintenance of foreign files through a grant.
- Maintain foreign filing docket and remind attorneys as necessary for work assignments.
- Maintain a high-quality work product and ability to schedule work to meet department deadlines and perform job responsibilities under pressure efficiently, productively, and in a professional manner.
- Analyzing incoming mail, faxes, and other information for pertinent data and relays that information to clients and timekeepers as needed.
- Ordering formal drawings from draftsman and certified copies from the [insert name of country] Patent and Trademark Office.
- Prepare Client Matter Request forms for new cases including docketing of all incoming cases.
- Knowledge of [insert name of country] patent prosecution procedures and/or law firm experience required.
- Minimum of [insert number] years of patent-related experience is required.
- College degree or an equivalent amount of legal experience required.
- Experience with [insert name of country] patent application filing process.
- Strong clerical skills, including organization, time management, and attention to detail.
What you’ll get in return
The firm offers a generous benefits package along with compensation based on experience level and client orientation.
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical insurance plan
- Dental insurance plan
- Vision insurance plan
- Contribution to life insurance plan
- 401k profit sharing
- Parking reimbursement
- Social, charity, and wellness events
To apply for the role or have a confidential discussion, contact us on [insert recruiter email address] or [insert recruiter phone number]