Legal Secretary Job Description
[Insert company name here] is an established and successful law firm specializing in [insert key areas of focus here]
We’re looking for a Legal Secretary to support our attorneys in our [insert location] office. This individual will work in partnership with their respective attorneys as well as provide lateral support to other administrative staff.
Roles & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Welcomes guests and clients by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics; coordinating case preparation.
- Conserves attorneys time by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports, and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences, and attorney meetings; scheduling couriers, court reporters, expert witnesses, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other courtroom visuals; preparing expense reports.
- Maintains attorney calendar by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, dispositions, and travel; recording and monitoring court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing requirements; monitoring evidence-gathering; anticipating changes in litigation or transaction preparation requirements.
- Represents attorney by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to an attorney.
- Generates revenues by documenting and inputting attorney billable time and reimbursable expenses; preparing invoices; tracking payments.
- Maintains client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; recording meeting discussions; maintaining transcripts; documenting and maintaining evidence.
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Must have at least 3-5 years’ experience in legal assistance (mass torts preferred)
• Familiarity with law, legal procedures, and protocols
• Thorough understanding of word processing and spreadsheets highly valued
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
• Command of Red Lining
• Skilled at time management
• This person must have experience working for attorneys and have strong Microsoft Office skills, experience with handling expenses and time entry, and working in a document management system.
• Responsibilities will involve handling travel arrangements, calendaring, editing, and reviewing documents.
What you’ll get in return
• The firm offers a generous benefits package along with compensation based on experience level and client orientation.
• Competitive compensation based on experience
• Medical insurance plan
• Dental insurance plan
• Vision insurance plan
• Contribution to life insurance plan
• 401k profit sharing
• Parking reimbursement
• Social, charity, and wellness events
To apply for the role or have a confidential discussion, contact us on [insert recruiter email address] or [insert recruiter phone number]